Volunteer recruitment programme ‘Be Included-Be Involved’ is recruiting further volunteers.
The Haven, a registered charity which provides support to people affected by a range of life limiting illness and to their family members and carers and supports people across the whole of North and South Lanarkshire through its centres in Blantyre, Wishaw and Forth, is looking for volunteers to take on a new challenge at their centre in Forth.
Thanks to the Aspiring Communities Fund the ‘Be Included-Be Involved’ volunteer recruitment programme has already been a great success for The Haven, with the charity being able to successfully offer volunteering opportunities to the people of Clydesdale who have not necessarily had the opportunity to volunteer before.
The Aspiring Communities Fund, which is supported by the European Social Fund and the Scottish Government, enables community bodies and third sector organisations in rural communities to develop and deliver long term solutions that address local priorities and needs, increase active inclusion and build on the assets of communities to reduce poverty and enable inclusive growth.
The ‘Be Included-Be Involved’ project launched last year and has so far successfully provided increased opportunities to people in the local area who due to long-term illness, caring responsibilities, age or accessibility haven’t had the opportunity to volunteer before.
There are an increasing number of volunteer opportunities available through the project which include; peer support, complementary therapists, , admin support, , awareness raising, fundraising and event support and perfect for this beautiful time of year; gardeners and walking group support. Volunteers are matched to roles which meet their skills and aspirations and they are integral to The Haven Model of Care.
Through these volunteering opportunities, this project is developing skills, building confidence, providing experience in a health and social care environment and providing access to meaningful activities to the people of Clydesdale.
Vicki Burns, Be Included, Be Involved Project Volunteer Coordinator said: “Already the project has been a great success and it has been fantastic to offer these incredible opportunities to the people of Clydesdale.
“The Haven is keen to further expand the project and nurture the skills and knowledge in the Clydesdale community to help the centre as it continues to grow. In return, through these volunteering opportunities, the volunteers will receive training, go through a Haven induction process, develop their skills and confidence all while gaining experience of a health and social care environment.
“Our clients are at the heart of everything we do and the ‘Be Included – Be Involved’ project and our volunteers really are making a significant difference to the families we support. If you are interested in any of our volunteering opportunities we would be delighted to hear from you.”
One of The Haven volunteers who has been involved in the ‘Be Included – Be Involved project said: “The Haven for me is like one big family and I feel like I belong and that I’m part of that.”
The Haven, which has a purpose built facility in Forth, offers a programme of support designed to help individuals cope with the physical, emotional and practical aspects of their illness and provides support for people at all stages from the point of diagnosis onwards and is specifically tailored to meet the needs of the individual. The charity operates as a drop in centre with no need for medical referral and all services are provided free of charge.
For more information on the ‘Be Included – Be Involved’ volunteering opportunities available please call us on 01555 811 846 or email [email protected]
About The Haven
- The Haven provides support to people affected by a range of life limiting illnesses and to their family members and carers
- The Haven offers a programme of support designed to help individuals cope with the physical, emotional and practical aspects of their illness
- Support is provided for people at all stages of their illness from the point of diagnosis onwards and is specifically tailored to meet the needs of the individual
- Support is offered to people of all ages and to all the family members and carers
- The Haven programme is provided by a multidisciplinary team of nurses, therapists and volunteers who work closely together to ensure the highest standard of care
- The Haven operates a drop in centre with no need for medical referral and all services are provided free of charge
- The Haven is a place of emotional and spiritual calm: a healing sanctuary for the body, mind and soul
- The Haven aims to support the quality of life of its clients, supporting them to live life positively and with hope